Organisation and governance
The general meeting, board of directors, chairman and the National Office constitute the governing bodies of the French Red Cross, together with the national supervisory commission of advisors providing advice and supervision.
- The General Meeting is made up of French Red Cross Directors, regional delegates and directors of regional offices, as well as one delegate per département (French county). The Annual General Meeting (AGM) debates on topics drawn up by the Board of Directors and approves the annual report and financial statements.
- The Board of Directors: the French Red Cross is managed by a board of directors who report to the general meeting. The board of directors is made up of 31 members which meet 4 times a year and who are assisted by a national office and two vice-chairmen.
- The Chairman is in charge of French Red Cross policies, as agreed by the board of directors and the national office. Elected for a four year term by the board of directors, the chairman represents the organization at both national government and international levels. As patron and safeguarder of the impartiality and independence of the organization, he is assisted by a first and second vice-chairman.
- The National Office is overseen by the board of directors and considers all issues outside the remit of executive management not important enough to be put to the main board. It may receive specific written authorizations from the Board. The national office meets once a month.
With 54,000 volunteers and 18,000 employees working with 1,034 local branches and 600 different facilities, our organisation operates throughout France. In every region, branches have been set up based on location so as to provide the best possible regional network to reach and help vulnerable people.
- Head Office and the 8 Regional Offices: under the Chairman’s and senior management’s authority, the head office prepares and implements all decisions taken by national governing bodies. It is also responsible for day-to-day management of the organization, providing support and advice to offices, units and facilities. The eight regional offices oversee the territories of one or several French administrative Regions: the North-West, the West, the South-West, Ile-de-France Region, the East, Rhône-Alpes-Auvergne, the South-East and the Overseas Territories. Each office is responsible for coordinating activities as well as the support and supervision of all inter-regional facilities.
- County Offices: every French department has an office responsible for running, coordinating and controlling activities performed by local units. Acting as an intermediary between local units and Head Office, the department office is responsible for the smooth-running and budgeting of local units in difficulty.
- Local units: each French department has a set number of units. Within its operational territory, it is in charge of Red Cross community projects concerned with meeting local needs, especially with regard to social activities, emergencies and first aid.
- The Facilities: our 600 facilities are spread out across France and divided into seven professional categories: children and families, social exclusion, healthcare, housing, training programs, the elderly and the disabled.